Monday, July 05, 2010

Code Browns and more

It's raining. I think it's been raining for three days straight. I'd complain, but the rain stopping means the heat will be coming. I'm not sure which is better, but I'm not going to complain.

JB has been and will be studying each day for his Boards. He takes his final test to become a licensed physician in one week. He's been studying each day for a few hours away from the house. Usually he goes to a library, but it was closed today for the holiday. So he opted for Starbucks. Was going to go to Joan's house but decided he didn't want to drive that far.

JB was reminded he was in South Florida again today. While in Starbucks, a lady walked by in fishnet stockings and a sheer skirt accompanied by high heels. Don't ask what she had on under that sheer skirt.

I was not spared. While at the grocery store, I observed a woman wearing one of those "magician assistant" outfits. You know the one with fishnet stockings, high heels, a leotard, and a coat? I didn't see the cane or top hat. But still? At the grocery store?

South Florida is definitely an interesting place. We met Keith, AD, and Charleigh at Chik-Fil-A today. It was raining so hard we had to stay longer than we had planned on. (During that time I changed three dirty diapers but that's another story altogether and this particular post is going to be random enough as it is.) A gal who worked came by and asked us not to have drinks inside the play land. We quickly apologized and acquiesced.

Shortly thereafter another family came in with their own drinks. My mother kindly told them the request by the restaurant that we not have drinks in the play area. The woman looked at my mom and said, "I break the rules." Then she sat down with her drinks.

Oh. Okay.

More South Florida for you? A guy said to me that he was surprised when I smiled back at him. "I didn't expect that," he said as we let our dogs romp in the baseball field. Really? No smiles. But it's true. People talk to you a lot less here than they do in the "South."

I've decided to forget the fact that no one else will make eye contact with me or smile at me or say hi. I'm going to smile and wave and try to say hi to everyone I can in a single day.

In other news, Code Browns. (To discover for the first time, or to rediscover for the umpteenth time what a Code Brown is, click here.)

Code Browns. Isaac had a few when he was around a year old. Elijah has never had one. Our family hasn't experienced one in about six months.

Our streak has come to an end.

Post-dinner, JB went upstairs to give baths (Elijah had ravioli everywhere, including his armpits so a bath was more than a suggestion.) I was doing the dishes. Suddenly I heard the call we all dread from up the stairs. "Code Brown!"

And thus our streak came to an end.

P.S. It's still raining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smiling and waving at you teeth and all from Jacksonville, Fl..aka-"THE South". Keep on keepin on- you are doing GREAT!

Jenny (former Niceville resident)

Brittny said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!! I can totally see you smiling and waving at anyone and everyone. (That's the first thing I loved about being your friend. How friendly you are.) And the code browns? Totally had me cracking up!!! I feel like we had more of those with Brick than the kids!!! I'll have to remember those words next time Sophie has a "surprise" for us. Hope it stops raining soon!!! Give the boys hugs and kisses for m!

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious dear niece! what a fun read this morning...
xo
Tante Jan