Saturday, February 17, 2018

Almost three weeks!

At some point, I would like to write much, much more on this topic. But for now I will just say that I have gone almost three weeks with no soda and no junk food!

My whole life, food never owned me. I had no trouble moderating my food and never struggled with my weight.

However, in the last few years, since having a fourth child and moving back to the States, I got fairly addicted to soda and junk food (primarily anything chocolate). I didn't gorge on them. But I would have a soda/junk snack a few times a week at minimum.

There are many reasons that I decided to give these up. My health, the example for my children, and my weight just for starters. However, I also was pretty convinced that the sugar was contributing to my chronic migraines.

I started on a new medicine and gave up the junk, and I have now gone nearly three weeks with a migraine! Amazing.

My goal is to go 66 days without cheating on these items. They say that's how long it takes to break a bad habit. At that point, I hope to be able to have these in moderation -- for special events or celebrations -- but not to reward myself anytime I get in my vehicle.

I tried many times to change my bad habits. I did it once a year ago but not having experience with dieting, I thought I could return to my previous behaviors. Now I understand, and I am trying to practice what I preach to my children. Soda is the one thing my kids have never been permitted to have, and yet I was drinking it nearly daily.

As a physician, John has become more and more convinced of the role that bad sugar is playing in our diets and lifestyle. In fact, there is new research indicating early dementia may be brought on by this terrible sugar addiction we have in our world.

I actually believe I was addicted to this sugar. I craved it and thought about it and hid it and had trouble saying no to it.

I'm excited to work toward my 66 day goal!

No comments: