Saturday, January 20, 2018

Ballet Dress Rehearsal #1

Abigail is in her second Central Ballet Theatre play. Last year she was in a Sleeping Beauty: True Love's Kiss. This year the play is: Twelve Dancing Princesses. Yesterday was the first full dress rehearsal. I am attempting to take over the make-up responsibilities this year. The gal who has been doing it is definitely still in charge, but I'm trying to take pressure off of her in the years to come.

What's funny is that I don't do any make-up. Can't do it actually. John is the make-up genius. But I can organize people and help in that regard so that is what I am doing. I am also doing a bit of braiding. I can fraench braid -- so I'm helping in that.

Here are some pictures from yesterday's first rehearsal. Here's something that is incredibly interesting: Abigail still battles intense shyness behind stage and sticks very close to me the entire time. As I am braiding hair and talking to people, she is wrapped to my leg or hiding her face in my hip. We were there for six hours yesterday and around hour five, she began to feel able to leave my side. What is amazing however is that as shy as she is behind the stage (even needing me to go into the backstage area with her every time she goes up for one of her four dances), the moment she walks onto that big stage in the big auditorium, she isn't shy or scared at all. It's as if she becomes a new kid. Truly it is something to behold.

I'm not just saying this because I'm her mom, but she has a gift for ballet. She moves and looks like a dancer ... and she just simply loves it. These productions are a lot of work and take up a lot of our January, but we do have a ton of fun with fantastic people and a great environment.

In addition, Sidge is helping behind stage this year! That's very fun for us as well.

With Sarai

Abigail and Eva -- one of the first times that day she would break from my side and take a photo.

Love these headpieces! They were made by a lady from many years past who is no longer alive, so the girls have been given strict instructions to treat them Kindly!

Ms. Kristin giving her some Slyph freckles. 

About to get her lips done. I did a little make-up at home but was informed I didn't come close to putting enough on. Ha! They also put eye liner on which is completely out of my abilities.

Eliza -- our homeschooling and ballet friend around hour five when Abigail finally came out of her shell and started doing jetes in the back hallway. Eliza's mom, Kristin, is one of my dear friends here in Greenville. She's one of those loyal ladies that just takes care of me and makes sure I am where I am supposed to be at the right time. 

One of the moms -- Jessica, got this photo of the girls performing taken from back stage. You can barely see Baylee (her daughter) and Abigail who are wearing the same costume.

The group of Sylphs getting ready to go on. 

And here is Sidge practicing his casting call. He's the youngest by far on the backstage crew but I'm so proud of him for doing this. I went up to the young man in the black shirt to tell him that Sidge is just learning and might be a little overly eager, and he looked at me and said "I have seven brothers and sisters. I'm not worried."

No comments: