Thursday, March 23, 2017

Style: Wolrd Bazaar

Home decor represents you, your family, your likes and dislikes. It is a creative expression of self splashed with lots of personality and love.

I'm really enjoying these interviews. I hope they are helping you gather ideas and examine different styles.

Meet my friend, Stephanie!


I'm a mom, a wife and a "currently-on-hiatus" model home designer. With a husband who works full time for the Air Force, runs a flight school, and works as an examiner for the FAA, I'm taking a break to raise our awesome 7-year-old- daughter. After living all over the U.S. and in Okinawa, Japan, we are hoping to stay in Las Vegas, Nevada for a while. We love spending time with friends and family, and we love to travel. We are currently looking forward to trips to the Grand Canyon and Disney World!

1. What makes your house a home?
As Winnie the Pooh said, " Home is the comfiest place to be", and for me, home is wherever my family is. As long as I have my husband, my daughter and out sweet dog, any house can be a home. I try to create a sense of "home" by adding personal, and unique touches to my house. I have lots of family photos, fun art work and accessories from our travels, and special furniture pieces that have been passed down in my family for several generations (like my great-great- grandmother's sewing table). Someday, I hope to pass the family heirlooms on to my daughter. I also keep a Texas-themed guest room wherever I live. This reminds me of growing up with my dear family.




2. What is your decorating style and why do you like it?
A friend once described my decorating style as " World Bazaar". I think she nailed it. I have a very eclectic mix of rustic pieces, antiques, new pieces purchased through my various design firms, and lots of items picked up in my travels. Everything is anchored with bits of blue (my favorite color). I definitely draw influence from my years living on the Florida Coast and the Island of Okinawa. My walls are painted colors like: Beach Glass, Watery, Rainwashed, and Tidewater. I love having a little of that coastal feel even though I now live in the middle of the desert! I try to keep my artwork fun and every piece has a story. For example, I picked up my "House Elf"at a little antique store in east Texas. The whimsical little elf greets my guests as they enter our home.




3. What decorating accessories are a "must" in your home?
I love all of the pieces I picked up while we were living in Okinawa. I have beautiful collections of shells, glass and coral gathered on the beaches, and various Asian-influenced imports picked up at local gift shops. Family photos are also a "must" in my home.



4. What are your go-to places to find unique decorating items?
The answer to this question is constantly changing. I have quite a few pieces that were returns from my design jobs. I was able to purchase them at bargain prices! Many of my accessories came from the military gift shops in Okinawa. Those shops imported some incredible items from various countries in Asia and Europe. I've also had luck finding treasures at discount stores like Ross and Home Goods. And of course, some of my favorite items come from antique stores in Iowa and Texas.



Thank you so much, Stephanie, for your collaboration on this post! I hope you guys enjoyed it as much I do!

Take care!



                                 Angelica                              

No comments: