Saturday, September 24, 2016

If I coulda been fired today ...


... I am sure I would have been. Each of my children woulda fired me on the spot. I was off my game. I had very little patience. I was crabby. And overwhelmed. And just not up to snuff.

And if I could have quit, I might have quit today too.

I'm getting over a really bad cold and a fierce allergy attack, and I am just not on my game. Add to that JB is on the tale end of a long run of 12-hour days, and I'm just cooked.

I had to go to the Post Office today and the grocery store. I also had to get the boys hair cuts. Isaac reminded me of these tokens he'd earned in his geography class at co-op for a free snow cone. We'd never been there before, so we added that to our day too. Four stops was about three stops too many. 

I managed to snap the picture above right before Abigail dumped out half her snow cone on the table. 

I shoulda realized how things were going when I went into the Post Office and the lady at the desk was feverishly scanning my items. She looked like she was about to cry so I finally said, "Is everything okay?"

She replied by saying, "No it's not. Everyone comes in at the last minute and I have so much to get done and they won't pay me overtime."

I honestly had no idea what to say so I said nothing, but I did think, "She's having a worse day than I am."

(And by the way it was 10:45 and the Post Office closed at 12:00 so I didn't really think that was the last minute.)

I'm serious.

We arrived back home, and Hannah promptly climbed into the dog's bathtub and soaked herself. Then she peed on the floor.

Honestly. You can't make this stuff up.

JB always does bedtime at our house (when he isn't doing nights). He gets the kids all wound down and tucked in and then I come in and just snuggle and hug and love them. I so appreciate He does this. It is such a blessing to me. Especially on a day like this one.

As I hugged each of my four miracles, I said to them individually. "I'm sorry that I was a crabby Mommy today. Will you forgive me?"

Here were their replies:

Abigail: "You are the best Mommy in the whole world!"
Hannah: "Mommy look at my silly face I am making!"
Isaac: "I didn't think you did a bad job today Mommy."
Sidge: "Do you feel sad? That makes me sad if you are sad."

Kids are so awesome. 

And tomorrow is a new day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids' answers brought tears to my eyes!
LOVE Tante Janet

Phil Danner said...

Out of the mouths of babes. With love even crabby is okay.