Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jesus in his heart



I always pictured the moment one of my kids asked Jesus to live in their heart to be ... well ... earth-shaking or something.

But in actuality, it turned out to be a lot like most of the events in our house. It was silly and giggly and crazy with nothing going the way you have planned.

Plans?

What are those?

The boys were in the back of the car. I was driving them home from AWANAS. We were talking about what they had learned that evening. 

They learned about Candy Canes. They were eating those learned-about Candy Canes at the moment too.

Look at the Candy Cane
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for me
White is for my Savior
Who’s sinless and pure!
“J” is for Jesus My Lord, that’s for sure!
Turn it around
And a staff you will see
Jesus my shepherd
Was born for Me!

I talked about how asking the Lord into your heart allows you to ask your sins to be washed away. That his blood will make your heart white as snow.

Sidge said, "I asked Jesus into my heart a long time ago -- like before the Azores."

(I don't think he knows what he is talking about by the way.)

But Isaac said, "I haven't asked Jesus into my heart."

I said, "Do you want to?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Okay. Well this evening, when we get home, we can sit down with Daddy and pray."

Isaac said, "Or I could just do it now. Jesus, come into my heart. There. I did it."

Two seconds later he and Sidge were shooting their pretend guns (i.e. Candy Canes) at the passing cars once again.

I think Jesus was smiling at that up from heaven. Smiling at the faith of a child and the little boys that they are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Simple. So easy. Adults complicate what God intends to be so natural. Love this!

Julie