Friday, November 16, 2012

Richard Scarry's Busytown Game


I am pretty positive I have never recommended a game on my blog. That all changes today. Richard Scarry Busy Town is just too fantastic to not put a plug on here for it. If you are looking for Christmas presents this year for children 3-7, this is the game for them!

I'm not the only one who feels this way. The game has received 136 reviews on Amazon. Nearly ALL of them were a 4 or a 5. (The three that weren't were still a "3".) Not one lousy review in the whole bunch. The game has actually won an award for quality given by parents. It's that good.

So what do I love about this game?
  • The spots that your piece goes in are very large. This makes it easy to count and easy to stay in the right spot.
  • There is really nothing to knock over and "mess up." I hate having to keep the kids still to prevent the game from being destroyed and having to start over.
  • There are a few fun "shortcuts" that are always a hit with young children.
  • You work on your own for a part of the game, but in the end, you win or lose as a team. I'm all for kids learning about winning and losing, but Isaac takes it really hard. This game allows him to take it hard with us.
  • You have to work together to solve the mysteries. (My boys love the idea of a mystery and the magnifying glasses you use to find them.)
  • Adults can actually have fun playing this game too. Big brothers and sisters will enjoy it. (My husband is NOT a game player and he actually enjoys playing this game with the kids.)
  • This game is simple enough that a mature two-year-old could play it, but fun enough that older kids would enjoy playing to.
  • The pieces are sturdy and can take a beating.
  • The spinner works well -- both my boys can use it easily.
  • The board is six feet long leaving lots of room for us to spread out and have our own place.
  • Kids have fun and build confidence every time they say, "I found it!"
  • Encourages teamwork.
  • Promotes attention to detail.
  • Reinforces object identification and matching skills.


4 comments:

Marie said...

I agree, this is one of our favorites as well. I especially like the co-op nature of it.

Just out of curiosity - how do you manage to play with Abigail around? We can't play board games at all anymore because my 2 year old can't play along but also doesn't leave us alone!

John K (Temperate Climate Permaculture) said...

Marie, we do NOT play this while Abigail is awake. We play during her naps and after bedtime. We tried it on the dining room table once (we have a long table) and even that was hard to keep away from her little fingers!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you have this! UGH! Well,scratch that one off my list:)
grandma k

Jenny said...

Per your recommendation we went out and bought it last night. I think my girls will love this, as they love the Richard Scary books. Didn't even know this was out there! Thanks!!!