Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Let the games begin (for the 5th time)

The picture at left is just one of the four medicines I will take during IVF #5. This drug, Lupron, is taken via shot. (If you notice the yellow warnings on the bag, it is actually a chemotherapy drug!) I will also be taking progesterone and estrace. I have been on the birth control pill for the last three months.

Tomorrow, I will begin my Lupron shots. Five days after that, I will go off of the birth control pill. Shortly after that I will begin estrace. Progesterone will start around the time of my transfer.

I am continually having to remind myself that we are indeed going to do this thing again. It absolutely seems surreal. Some of the protocols have changed in the last five years. (The greatest change of all is that the progesterone, which was once in a very painful shot of thick oil that went into your lower back, is now in suppository form! Hip hip horray for tiny miracles.) But for the most part, things are the same now as they were then. I'm just a different person now. In many ways.

The results of my fancy uterus-blowing-up-ultrasound completed in Germany, initially appeared to be spot-on and very positive, but I am waiting for the CD of images to arrive in Rochester. (Hurricane Sandy has really screwed up postal services from our neck of the woods to the United States.) I'm patiently waiting to hear Mayo confirm what the doctor at Landstuhl already told me: that my uterus looks "good to go."

As of tomorrow morning, IVF #5 has officially begun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you do this in Germany or right there Wen? when i read about the suppositories I thought of what my Dr. said to me recently when I was there, that changed my whole outlook and focus that day and week..."we thank God for the little things"! Tante Jan ox Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, thanking Him for many little things during this difficult time...hugs and prayers

Carrie said...

Seeing that pile of drugs makes me cringe. Does Lupron make you crazy? I was an insane woman on that stuff and Clomid.

(((hugs)))

Beth said...

I was on Lupton for six months in my early twenties. No fun! Many prayers for you and your family during this crazy time!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing that progesterone is a suppository now. I swear I still have lumps from those dumb things. Just the process of having to warm the oil to get it into the syringe then warm it some more to get it into my backside. The lupron shots (minus the huge mood swings) were easy. I gave those to myself.

Praying for you as you go through all of this. Hopefully the memories are the worst of it all and you can have an easy transition back into the world of FET.

Stock up on chocolate! :D

Bethany

Faith said...

I'm been trying to catch up - I can't believe what I am reading! Good luck! Can't wait to read more:)!