Wednesday, October 31, 2012

ABC Memory Verses

About a year ago, I asked my friend Amanda, a homeschool mom, what type of "stuff" she'd be doing with her three-year-old if she were me. She told me, "Do a letter a week. That's it."

So I did. Each week since we have moved to the Azores, we have focused on a different letter. We watch youtube videos like this one which help teach the boys the sound of the letter and how to write it. We might play a game or do something very "random" and "spur-of-the-moment" featuring that letter as well.

The other BIG thing we do with each letter, is learn a memory verse! We are now on the letter "S" and the boys have learned each and every memory verse from A thru S. In addition, I have learned them too. Okay, truth, I already knew them after growing up in the church, but to have them in ABC format is just brilliant! Anytime I am feeling a little stressed out, I can say the memory verses because they are in a "easy-to-remember" format. We may know memory verses. But recalling them when you need them isn't always easy. In ABC format ... it is!

Each evening, the boys pick magnets off the refrigerator and then they say the memory verses for that letter. In the beginning, we did every letter every night. But as that got longer and longer, we started having them pick 5 or 6 letters each evening.

So here are the verses we chose for each letter .... including T-Z which we have not gotten to yet.

All things work together for the good of those who love Him.
Be ye kind, one to another.
Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you.
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
Every good and perfect gift is from above.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes on Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Give thanks to the Lord for He is good.
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty who was, and is, and is to come.
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Keeping God's commandments is the most important thing.
Let the little children come unto me.
My son, give me your heart.
No one can serve two masters.
Our God is able to do all things.
Pray without ceasing.
in Quietness and trust is your strength.
Rejoice in the Lord.
Seek ye first the kingdom of God.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield.”
Visit orphans and widows.
Well done good and faithful servant.
eXcept a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

You are the light of the world.
Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I too did one letter a week but the memory verses we did not do like that. Wish I had! I am going to show this to Julia. Drew would love this.

Alyssa said...

Have you seen or looked at this blog http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/. That's exactly what it is, letter of the week (for younger ones) and she also has the verses on there. I really like some of her print outs, games and the boys have enjoyed the daily learning journal :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks for the Alyssa. I have seen a lot of things floating around about this before. Good one to check out.