Thursday, September 06, 2012

Why did it take me 34 years ...

... to discover maternity shirts for my 6'3" frame?
 
A shirt that actually covers my hips and doesn't ride up is no small miracle.
 
Please excuse the maternity-like photo here of me in the mirror. I did not have the energy to explain to my in-laws why I wanted a picture of myself or how to use the camera. And JB was not home. Also please ecxuse the big spot on my shirt. I imagine those are gooey kiddy fingers of some sort, but I am not able to define what the goo actually is more than a few minutes after the goo is transferred.
 
I did a post many moons ago about where I find clothes being such a tall woman. It is not uncommon for me to be stopped in the grocery store or at the post office by the father of a tall teenager. Or by a tall woman herself. There question is always the same. "Can you please tell me where you get your clothes?"
 
Good question! You can get answers to that question by reading my past post, but please know that I will be editing it slightly to add one very important thing that I never thought of prior to getting pregnant myself.
 
Maternity shirts.
 
Not I am not talking about the "blowsy" shirts. I am talking about long and lean shirts designed to stretch out over your belly. Joni bought a few of these for me when I was pregnant. I bought a few for myself. And after I had Sidge and Abigail, I stopped wearing most of my maternity clothes, but these long and lean shirts were still a favorite of mine. I realized that that was because they have the extra length to cover my entire torso! (Not a small feat!)
 
Not sure I could have brought myself to buy maternity clothes during my infertility journey. But if you do it online, it isn't really like you are actually shopping for maternity clothes. Just think of it is as a department for a few more inches on the bottom of the shirts.
 
Of course this doesn't help with sleeve length (a problem for me too). And we won't even get me started on the fact that these shirts don't help my 37.5 inch inseam find pants anywhere. Too bad. But it does help me out in the too-short in the torso department.
 
If you have a teenage daughter who wants to be "cool-like-the-rest-of-the-world" but is long in the torso and constantly trying to wear shirts that don't fit right, this may be a great idea for you to look into. I especially like Target and Old Navy's selection as being easy to shop online and easy on the pocketbook as well.
 
Enjoy wearing clothes that fit. I know I am.

6 comments:

animalcrackerkat said...

And I thought it was hard to find pants in a 4 Long! I feel some small amount of your pain.

I have found that Target is good about having "Long" options for their jeans (more than most anyway) without breaking the bank, but I'm sure you know that already. :)

p.s. I miss struggling to find a 4L. I keep telling myself I'll get motivated to work out more when the boys are in school.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I can't wear longs. They come in 34 inch inseams. I have to order from specialty stores which do 38 to 38 inches.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Sorry I meant 36 to 38

Carrie said...

I picked up a cute shirt the other day for $3 at a yard sale and then thought of you when I tried it on at home. I can't decide if it's supposed to be a short dress or a long shirt... though both options don't look right on me. Want it?

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Carrie, I'd love to give t a try and I can pass it on to another person here. But I hate to see you spend five bucks mailing the dress that was only three bucks bringing it to eight bucks. Lol.

Janelle Keller said...

I completely discovered the same exact thing just a few months ago!!! Maternity Shirts are AWESOME for us long torso-ed people! I happened to make the discovery at Target too. I didn't realize I had wandered into the Maternity section. I was wheeling around my newly adopted infant son. And who would have thought, after alllll these years of infertility, I'd buy my first Maternity shirt post-baby :)
Cheers to that!
Janelle