Monday, July 23, 2012

Constance



My Aunt Constance "Connie" with her son Colin.

I am constantly amazed at how cool God is.
In the fall of 2010, I found out that I was once again pregnant. Having thought Elijah was a “one-time-thing” we were blown away that another miracle had occurred. But we were also just a bit overwhelmed. We had one big dog, two toddlers, and, oh, yeah, we lived halfway across the world from all of our friends and family – in Turkey of all places.

So imagine my surprise when within twenty-four hours of discovering a new life was on the way, I received an out-of-the-blue Facebook message from Veronica Ray. She was 19 now, but we had known her since she was just a little girl. Now, she had just graduated high school and was looking to explore the world. More joking than serious, she put a comment on one of my photos, “Hey Wendi. Want a nanny?” I messaged back a follow-up. Are you serious? She wasn’t but now I had her attention.

I told her my secret. Baby Kitsteiner #3 was on the way. Help!!!!
Over the next few weeks, we came up with a plan. We’d pay her ticket to Turkey and let her live with us and eat with us if she’d help me with the kids. She could make money doing other work for other people but no money would actually exchange hands between us. It was wonderful! She got to see the world, and I had a “family member” there to help me with what turned out to be a very difficult year. From an appendicitis to going into early labor to having to live in Germany for two and a half months – I truly do not know how we could have done it without her.

But God knew. Isn’t He cool? He brought along something I needed before I even knew I needed it.
And He’s moved for our family again.

When we saw our home in the Azores, JB and I immediately discussed the prospect of a Veronica-like-arrangement again. We had the space here. Maybe another very special person would want to come and help us. As we saw it, to go out once a week (which we would love to but don’t do) would cost us about $50 each week for a babysitter. Four times a month is $200. For six months that is $1200. I’d rather pay for someone’s plane fare and have them with me a lot more than hire some local person to watch my kids. Financially it just made sense.
But Veronica had moved on to other things and was no longer available. Did we want to look for someone else? I shook my head and told JB, “I’m not up for finding anyone to come and live with us. If God has someone in mind, He’ll need to bring them my way and drop them in my lap.”

And once again, He did. I can’t even remember how the communication began. I think it was me who threw it out to my Aunt Connie. “Want to be a nanny?” yet again on Facebook. She replied in the affirmative. But we both didn’t think the other was being serious. I’m not sure I was. I definitely didn’t think she’d be interested.
But she was.

My mother is the oldest of five children. My aunt Connie is the youngest of those children. She was only 14 when I was born. When I was much younger, I would often go to visit family in the Illinois area and spend a lot of time with my aunt. But once I went to college, we lost touch. We sent occasional cards or emails but nothing much. In the meantime, she moved to Petoskey, Michigan. And I was all over the world. No time to run in the same direction. Connie and Mike are no longer married but their two sons live close by – Casey in Grand Rapids and Colin in Petoskey where he works as a lumberjack! (He’s a really strong guy so I’ve been told!) With Colin’s graduation from high school last year, Connie’s heart had begun to stir with the desire for some adventure.
And my heart had been desiring to stir with the need for family.

I’m sure it goes without saying that we miss our families something bad. I miss having a Grama that can watch them for an afternoon. I miss birthday parties with aunts and uncles in attendance. We do not regret our decision to live in Turkey or the Azores. We often remind ourselves that we “chose our little family over our big family.” In other words, if we went to Turkey … if we went to the Azores … JB would most likely not deploy. But it would mean being away from family for a very long period of time.
I hate that my parents won’t see Abigail until she is walking. I want my boys to spend time with JB’s mom and dad. But right now, that isn’t where our life is.

That being said, I am so thrilled to have family here with me. Connie is coming in late September. The initial plan is for her to stay at least six months. We’ll reevaluate at that point whether she will stay longer.
Her arrival caps off quite a run of visitors. My friend Nicole (JB’s classmate from medical school) and her daughter Hannah come in this weekend for a few days. In mid-August, JB’s parents are coming into town for three weeks. And then Connie will be here a few days after they leave. (She is a huge dog person too which is a great bonus!)

Anyways, just wanted to share my very exciting news with those of you who read my blog. I am so blessed that she is coming. Blessed that I will have someone here that will allow me to go for a run, run some errands, or run and take a shower. Do I need the help? No. I can do it without her. But will it make my marriage and mothering much better? It definitely will. Her presence will allow us to spend time together as a couple and allow my kids to have an auntie here that loves them.
I can’t wait!
I also found this picture: check this out! That's Joni with my aunt Connie (middle) and my Aunt Linda (my dad's youngest sister). This picture was probably taken when I was just a baby.

3 comments:

TAV said...

How wonderful! Jealous you are meeting up with Nicole et al. Wish we were closer!

Buttercup said...

How terrific -- for you and for Constance! You've planted an idea in my head. I'm thinking of retiring from my full time job...have passport, love to see the world.

Joia said...

A.MAZING!!!! How exciting for all of you! =)