Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sous Chef


Elijah is obsessed with being JB's sous chef.  Every day, when JB gets home from work, he starts cooking. Elijah gets so excited, grabs his apron, his stool, and his drink. You can watch them getting started last night on video by clicking here.

This video does more than show Elijah being a sous chef, however. It also illustrated two other really funny things that Elijah has been saying lately. I was so excited that I captured them all with one video.

The first is that he has decided his name is now Sidge. I don't know how to spell this exactly so I'll just write it how it sounds.

Isaac called Elijah Sidge-uh when he was little and couldn't pronounce Elijah correctly. JB and I started calling him Sidge for short, but it was just a fun nickname. However, now Elijah is starting to tell people that is what his name is. All the time. He tells people, "No, call me Sidge." In Turkey, his buddy William informed him that he didn't like the name Sidge and he was going to stick with Eljiah. Elijah disagrees. If someone asks him his name, he says Sidge every time. You'll hear him say so in the video.

The other thing I love is hearing Elijah on the video saying, "I loveeeee ..." Whenever JB asks Elijah if he wants to do something in the kitchen ("Do you want to help me cut up a pepper?"), Elijah replies with, "Oh yes ... I loveeee to cut up peppers."

He's been learning the names of all the things John cooks with. Last night, when JB pointed to a pineapple and asked Elijah what it was; Sidge's response was: "It's a porcupine." Close but yet so far.

Food and Elijah seem to go hand in hand. The kid just loves to eat. We have actually found that punishing him by removing the food, works better than a time-out. And JB tried telling him he had to take a five minute break from being a sous chef for a punishment and it crushed Elijah so badly, JB told me he isn't even going to use that punishment again.

Whenever I try to feed Isaac something, he usually pinches his nose or tells me he doesn't like it. Elijah's immediate response is, "Well, then give it to me, Isaac."

We went over to Nick & Kristy's house for dinner this past weekend. Elijah walked in, sat down at the table and said, "I'm just going to sit down right here and wait for my dinner to be ready."

Outside of food, Elijah has been saying some other cute things like:
  • "Mom? You're a peach!" (I have no idea where he got this from.)
  • He'll also sit down in the morning in a chair across from me while I am feeding Abigail, cross his legs, and say, "So Mom. How are you doing today?"
  • If I ask him if he can do something for me, and he wants to, he almost always replies, "Of course" or "Of course I can." He loves to help! (I'm enjoying this season while it lasts.)
I'm so enjoying the boy he is becoming. He is funny and smart and wears his emotions right on his sleeve.

1 comment:

katie said...

I love that John says you have to have a drink - as he points to the sippy cup!