Monday, October 03, 2011

Race Day

I fear getting on the subject of our Internet service on Base without saying not-nice things. Let me just say that we pay a lot for our Internet. That we have no choice as to what service we use. And that it is really, really lousy! It is slow. It stops working randomly all the time. And it seems to favor not working on the weekends, when we can really touch Base with people back home due to the time difference and work schedules. Three days we were without it and for the second weekend in a row. Grrrrr ... We managed to use our neighbor's wireless account for a bit of time and then their's went out for a completely different reason. Seriously?!

(Side note: did I really grow up without a computer in my house? How did we get by before the Internet? I depend on it SO much.)

All right, off that soap box. I say all that to say I am way behind on emails and Facebook messages and blogging. So forgive me.

Let me back up for a bit to Saturday morning when our entire family went out and "ran" the 3.1 mile Breast Cancer Awareness race. Friday evening Veronica, JB, and I made the decision to skip the race after an exhausting week. But then JB and I were woken up by the kids at 5:30am anyways, so why not? Veronica didn't manage to get out of bed to join us -- she was sticking to our Friday night agreement, but JB, myself and the kids made the best of it. JB ran with the boys in the jogger, and I walked/ran with Abigail in her stroller. I actually ran a lot of it and was proud to finish behind some of the slower joggers!

Here are some pictures of our morning:

Abigail wearing the shirt provided by the medical group. Some of the sayings on the breast cancer shirts really crack me up -- including one I saw that said: "Save 2nd Base." Totally inappropriate but totally funny.

Poor Patty was feeling really lousy. She was going to watch Abigail for us during the race but decided not to avoid giving our babe her "coodies." Since I'm so tall and Patty is ... not, I crouched and did her best ballet toe. As for sickness, it is running pretty rampant on Base. Abigail has her first cold, and JB actually missed work today (only the second time in 8 years that I remember him missing work due to illness) for a GI thing. With the Base being so small, illnesses spread fairly rapidly around here. So blessed that the me and the boys still feel great!

Here we are after the event!

2 comments:

TAV said...

Great job, Kits!!! I was thinking about a redwoods race here this month, but couldn't get motivated to train!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you ran for the cancer awareness! And i got teary reading about your friends' husbands/dads coming home after so long away --i think i need to pray for our military families more!
Love Tante Jan