Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spain (By Veronica)

Our dear Veronica took over our home and our two most prized possessions while we were in Spain. We got to Skype with the boys nearly every day, and Veronica emailed me every evening to fill me in on the day's events. It seemed from my conversations with Veronica both during and after the trip, that the little guys were basically, in normal attire for our trip. They had their good and bad moments ... their good and bad days.

I made a point to have a morning break for Veronica nearly every day. Shane and Linda took Scrubs for her, and they also took the boys one morning. Stebbins helped out tremendously by making grocery store runs and watching the boys on numerous occasions. Veronica also had help from Sarahbee one morning and had two different days that she could utilize the Co-op. I think this helped her tremendously.

She wrote down her thoughts on "motherhood" and being in charge on Facebook. I wanted to share her words with you here. Quite interesting to read her perspective on this thing we call motherhood.

10 Things I learned this Week

1. Single Moms are some very strong women. I had it easy this week compared to what single moms go through. I didnt have to work and I had help from some pretty amazing ladies here at Incirlik. I don't know what I would've done without the help and company they offered me. I can't even come close to imagining what it would be like to work, and take care of a kid/kids. I realize that some mom's have help from family, but what about the moms who are completely on their own? They have to be strong.

2. My parents are awesome. Right now I am definitely appreciating what my parents did for me when I was a wee babe. I'm sorry Mom and Dad for any unwanted stress or annoyance or worry that I put you through. For all the times I wouldnt take a nap.. I am very sorry haha

3. I want to have kids when I grow up. For those who know me well, this is shocking for me to say.

4. Nap time is the best time. That one is self explanitory.

5. Little boy kisses just might be the best kind of kisses. On the rare occasion that Isaac and Elijah give me a kiss, it just makes me happy. I was putting Isaac's shoes on yesterday and he turned and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Just adorable.

6. 2-year-olds immitate what they hear. Isaac to Elijah: "Cmon buddy, lets go play over here" (John calls them buddy). It's mainly Isaac that immitates what he hears right now.. "Oh man! I spilled only one cracker!"

7. I have to pick my battles. There are some things that arent worth fighting with a 2-year-old about.

8. It's better to not give options for dinner. "Do you guys want quesodillas for dinner?" "No, I want granowa bahh (granola bar)". Umm.. Nope sorry.

9. I like background noise. I have learned that I can't sit in the house with just the boys playing. There has to be music on or it's just too quiet and creepy.

10. I made the right choice by coming to Turkey. I am enjoying it a ton and this a huge prep course for when I have kids. I've always had a worry in the back of my head that went like this: How the heck am I going to be a mom? I dont even know where to start. I have no earthly idea what all I would need, or when to use baby creams, or how to tell when a baby is hungry vs tired vs dirty and that stresses me out. (Yes, I am such a girl.) Well thanks to John and Wendi, I wont be as stressed for the future. This is definitely a God thing. Don't worry about tomorrow, let tomorrow worry about itself. Today has enough evils of its own. -Matthew 6:34

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I think you could have at least pretended that things were rough-you know, had a bag or two packed and sitting in the front hall when they came home:) Job well done-no doubts whatsoever!
Now, get some sleep- with both eyes shut!
grandma k

AW said...

LOL@Gramma K

Veronica, you are wise beyond your years sweet girl. And I can't say that anything you said is false, with the exception of the last thing. At some point, you will RELISH the silence. I can't bear to have any extra noise and have actually taught the boys to play "Mouse Mode". Whispering for an allotted amount of time followed by lots of tickling and screaming. (A tool to teach controlling voice level and respecting necessary silent times.) But that's just our household and my insanity needing a breakf from sound. LOL!

Otherwise, you have learned a lot in your short-time there and I'm VERY impressed.