Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I miss ...

... American food. I had a great time at our holiday resort for the weekend, but Turkish breakfasts just don't cut it for me. They usually include some plain white bread, honey, corn flakes, cocoa puffs, hard boiled eggs, and then a variety of meats and cheeses that just don't "fit" with what we Americans want to eat for breakfast.

I just want to go to Ihop. I want to have pancakes and eggs and waffles. You know, an American buffet breakfast! Ohhh how I miss that! Oh what I would do for oodles of syrup and fattening buttermilk everything.

Our brand new MAC computer just arrived this past weekend. (Joan, you're going to love coming to visit now.) My other computer which was given to me during my tenure at RLSF has reached the end of its leg and is no longer usable. So we decided to splurge and buy a real computer. I'm a bit tired of typing and working on this tiny little laptop.

(It may seem like I have totally changed subjects, but I haven't.) We can watch HULU on it. We are trying this for the first time. The first show that JB picked? Bobby Flay's throwdown challenge. What are they throwing down? Blueberry pancakes! Oh my oh my oh my. Blueberry pancakes at a pancake house. Could there be anything more delightful.

Yes, of course, we can make pancakes at our house, but these little things are things that you really miss living across the world from home. If we were in Europe, we could still get tastes of home. But here, it is really no longer Europe. It's Asia. And it's so different.

I wrote about some of my frustrations with Turkey on a previous post here. And I promised to revisit these when the fog cleared. So, here I am, revisiting a bit.

Let me preface by saying this. I am happy here in Turkey. We belong here. This is where we are supposed to be. JB works good hours. He works short days. He is off on the weekends. He is not deploying. We are experiencing a brand new culture. Turkish people are incredibly kind. The opportunity to learn a new language and experience a different place in the world is something we can never exchange. We are not bitter. We are not sad.

But we do get frustrated.

The Base itself is frustrating. We had been told that most people love living on Base at first and then it turns into a pressure cooker. That has all become understandable to us recently. The Base itself is run by the Turkish military. They own it. We, as Americans, are guests on their Base. For example, if the Base in Eglin decided to allow a small section of Turkish military occupy a section of their Base, we would find it incredibly rude if they started telling us how to do things. If they started telling us we were doing things wrong, it would be offensive.

The same is true for us here. We are the guests. And as such, we have to remember that this is a different culture. They do things differently. For example. Does it make any sense to me that I have been here seven months and still do not have a permanent residency pass? Does it make any sense that every January they reissue passes to the entire Base, and therefore, if you are anywhere close to January, they won't reissue you a pass?

I rest my case.

It makes NO sense at all. I could help this run so much more efficiently myself. But alas, I am not a member of the Turkish military. I am a guest. I am subject to how they do things. And so I do.

These things carry on off-Base.
  • I don't understand why drivers move back and forth between lanes randomly. It seems unsafe.
  • In the malls there are carts with wheels that don't move forward. You have to slide sideways. I don't really understand why they don't fix this wheel issue.
  • Why do they have lights in the middle of their round-a-bouts? I don't get it.
  • Turkish breakfasts? There isn't necessarily anything wrong with them. They are just different.
  • Sitting in the middle of medians during a warm day? Doesn't that seem a bit dangerous?
  • There is a new thing on the highways now. You have to use a pre-paid card to go through toll booths. But if you get to your turn in line and your card is out of money, you are stuck there! Fifteen cars behind you will have to back up so you can get out and maybe cross six lanes of traffic to find the little house that allows you to replenish your money. This makes no sense to me!

I have learned that if I start any sentence with, "Why do they ..." or "I don't understand why ..." I am going to just get frustrated. JB and I have found that if we do this regularly, we will end up getting bitter or down on where we are. So we try to remind ourselves that things here are not wrong. Yes, we see a way to do it more efficiently. But we don't live here. We don't own things here. We are guests here.

And that is what hard. You really can't make a change. You have to go with the flow even if the flow doesn't seem to flow very smoothly at all. I would imagine that anyone experiencing a new culture struggles withe adjustments, even if things are being done better. But your prayers that I would continue to see the good and not get frustrated would be most appreciated.

P.S. Thank you to those of you have purchased a pashmina. I have sold 4 of the 6 already. You can click on the link on the top of the screen to see what I still have. I plan to replenish my supply regularly and keep selling them as long as they are selling. You can pay through paypal. Email me at flakymn@hotmail.com with any questions.

5 comments:

Dana said...

Sorry you guys are missing so many things from home, I can only imagine how hard that would be. Will it be better when you are storknesting in Germany? Are there more "american type" foods and traffic laws there? I remember traveling to Italy as a h.s. senior and the flip side of being awestruck by the beauty of the ancient architecture was the lack of food that we considered "italian". My husband, who has never been outside the U.S. has a hard time understanding me when I say "Italian food in Italy doesn't task like Italian food." LOL That and for 10 days we were served the EXACT same thing every breakfast, lunch and dinner. All of our chaperones thought it was hysterical that when we finally got to Belgium we all made a bee-line for the one McDonald's we had seen on the trip, it was amazing finding some familiar food and seeing those golden arches welcoming us in.
As for the traffic thing it was much like you describe when we were in Naples, even from the safety of a travel bus it made us terrified to see there were no rules apparently governing speed or lanes (lack there of) or direction on their main highways!
Here's hoping all the good you are experiencing outweighs all the novelty you are having to adjust too on a daily basis!
Dana

Jenny said...

You know I "get it!" I really miss eating out the most! Not that we did it often, but I liked having the option. In Germany, the options are: German, Italian Turkish (donner kebabs), or Chinese food. For fast food we have McDonald's, Subway or Burger King. Also, German restaurants are not all that kid friendly. It's a little better in the summer when the Biergartens are open. At least we can eat outside, and the kids can play on the spielplatz (playground).
Breakfast in Turkey sounds a lot like a typical German breakfast. We have the weird cheeses and lunch meat, breads, musli (granola with yogurt), some cereals. Germans don't seem to eat pancakes, waffles, or eggs either.
There are definitely a lot of things that can frustrate, so it's good that you don't dwell on it too much. I keep telling myself that we made the choice to live here for 4 years, and we are having INCREDIBLE experiences. My children are being exposed to another culture, and we're learning a new language. We will never be the same as a result of this opportunity!
I do look forward to having a garbage disposal, lots of ice, and a decent sized kitchen again though. You've got me beat on that. My fridge is comparable to a college dorm fridge! I think it's going to be culture shock when I move back to the "land of convenience" again! :)

Joia said...

Yay for MAC! (A Real computer, indeed!) and Yay for Hulu! We love it! =)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if when you're 'home' you'll be then missing turkish food...

Anonymous said...

I remember when the honeymoon stage of life in Indonesia ended...i'm not sure you'll be there long enough to have the stage where you really settle in and feel at home and live with the irritations, but the feelings can be quite strong when that honeymoon stage ends (not talking about you and jb of course!)....and yes, I find myself searching for somewhere that has something like Indonesian food.... for comfort and I now talk about all those irritations either humorously for fun stories or even affectionately...sometimes i have to remind myself when i'm really homesick for Indonesia that all was not 'gold' while there --and now when i'm really irritated in America I remember the furloughs i came home for just one year and thought -oh if only Americans could live somewhere else and know how wonderful our country is --it's so nice for me to hear what you like about "home" --Now i'm "home" and find myself fighting not to think, if only Americans could live somewhere else and have their minds and hearts and conversations expanded...I feel like getting to see the best and worst of two different worlds has been such a privilege...but i also remember it was very painful to do sometimes and had it's tears and even temper tantrums (and i'm not talking about Cara and eddie when they were 2 and 4!) Tante Jan