Tuesday, February 01, 2011

An acute appendicits

Well folks. It's official. Went in for my post-op. appointment today and Dr. B. informed me that I had indeed had an acute appendicitis! While the appendix looked "okay" upon removal, the laboratory report indicated that it was in the early stages of an appendicits!

The first person I saw was Stebbs in the BX. I told her and she said, "Good. Good. I think. Good. Can I say good?"

Yes, please do. I think the big fear we had before going in for the surgery was that I just had a bad GI infection and that we were removing something that didn't need to be removed. When the diarrhea continued after the surgery (and was worse than before) we started conjecturing that maybe that's all it had been all along -- a GI infection. I told JB, as the doctor left the room to go get prepped for surgery, "I feel like if we wait a few days this will go away." But we couldn't wait a few days.

Thus the rock and the hard place.

Well, it wouldn't have gotten better, and that is encouraging. They did not cut me up for no reason at all. This fits very perfectly as the pain I was in on Sunday morning was bad but I would not have taken myself to the Emergency Room at that point. It wasn't into the "I'm going to die" stage. If JB hadn't noticed the tenderness in my abdomen, I think I would have gone another 24-hours at home, praying this went away. It wouldn't have, we now know, and my pain would have just gotten worse. So how nice we could take care of that right in the beginning.

This also means that the diarrhea afterwards most likely was from c-diff -- a bacterial infection they treated me for with antibiotics.

Anyways, not like it mattered. Surgery was done. It was over. But it is nice to know it is over for the right reason.

As for me, I am doing better and better. Daha iym hissediyorum as they say in Turkish. Still sluggish. Still in pain. But better every day praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah God...He always comes through! I've been a stay-at-home mom for several years. My husband would really like me to have a part-time job. A couple of weeks ago I had accepted a part-time position where I could work at home. While the pay was the best I'd seen for this type of job and the hours were perfect, it wasn't a job I was thrilled about. But...I took it because, well, he would feel better about things. I was in the shower the day before I was to complete the paperwork, and prayed telling God that I'm not real thrilled about this type of work but if it was what I was to do, then leave the door open. If I wasn't to do this, please solidly shut the door. Well...that afternoon, I got a call from the HR rep who said they had changed the at-home rules and asked if I was still interested. The change was totally unacceptable to me which meant...God solidly closed the doors on that one. Thanks be to God! Lynda