Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Precious Gems

What I did not mention on the blog during the last few days is that JB has been out of town. It's called TDY (tour of duty) when you are in the military. The military sent him to Germany for some training. Joan and my Mom left on Saturday morning. JB left on Sunday morning. It was difficult to go from four adults to one adult in the house in a matter of hours. He was only gone three nights but three nights when you have two toddlers is a lot.

It's amazing how the Lord knows just what you need. Friday evening was Halloween -- a huge community activity on Base. But doing it with two toddlers by yourself can be quite daunting. Isaac, however, is old enough to know what is going on and he was not going to take staying home as a solution to our one-parent-home. So I got them dressed and was wondering how I was going to successfully get these two little guys around by myself when Stebbins and her husband Ryan show up at the house.

For the rest of the night we were three parents with three kids. They helped me carry them, chase them, hug them. It was wonderful. It was such a fun evening. We went to a few houses and we went to the "All Saints Festival" alternative at the Chapel. The Lord knew what I needed before I could even utter a prayer. Thanks Heavenly Father for caring about the small things.

Stebbins and me looking a tad bit frazzled with Clifford, a penguin, and a lion to keep us busy.

Outside the house after a wonderful evening. Look at William (the penguin's face) here.

Attempting to play a game at the church. It was a bit chaotic. We successfully played one game which included picking up a plastic ducky and seeing what number was on the bottom. And, somehow, that ducky ended up in our treat bag. Ha!

Every time I am flying solo, my heart goes out to single parents. This job is full-time and when you don't have anyone to pat you on the back, help you brush teeth, or take turns making a meal, it can be quite daunting. To those of you who are doing this by yourself -- either due to deployment or some other reason -- my hat is off to you. I love my boys but man my husband helps me a lot.

P.S. JB is home. He is watching his "prize" for the boys -- Toy Story 1 -- with them in our movie room. Sweetness. He got home very late. He got up very early. He's exhausted. But we sure are glad to have him home.

P.S.S. This is actually my 3,000 post! Yikers!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I agree!! I dealt with a deployment last year which luckily was only 4 months. My son was only 2 months when my husband left and I also had our then-9 year old. We survived it just fine, but it really made me appreciate and miss my husband and his 2 extra helping hands around the house! Single parents have utmost respect from me.