Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grocery Grumbles

I have made a decision.

Tackling the grocery store with two toddlers when there are no double carts is not in my best interest. It is not in the best interest of my boys. It is not in the best interest of other people we are shopping with.

And I intend to avoid it at all costs in the future.

I went today to try to get milk. Rumor had it that milk was now available. (The rumor was only partly true. There were a few half gallons of 1% and skim but no whole milk. Oh well. It'll have to do for now.)

Anyways, the carts. I've tried it many different ways:
  • Allowing one boy to push one of the kiddie carts while I push the other boy in an adult cart. Doesn't work. Whichever boy doesn't get to push the cart gets upset. Very upset. Loud noises result. Random items make it into our cart. All around, poor idea.
  • Allowing both boys to push a kiddie cart. This is, as you can imagine, is a total disaster. I have other people in the store tell me I'm courageous. It's not courage. I'm just desperate. Both boys push at different speeds. They run into different things. They run into the backs of my legs, each other's legs, and the legs of other people. It's hard to remain focused after a cart collision with your shin. Trust me on that one.
  • Putting one in the belted part of the cart and the other one in the main part of the cart. Another failure. Whoever is sitting on the grated metal complains that "my bottom hurts." They keep wanting to switch spots. They try to stand up in the cart.
  • Letting one boy walk. Noper. Whichever one walks wants in the cart. Whichever one is in the cart wants to walk. Screaming ensues. The Commissary is very small. More loud noises.
  • Taking my double jogger. Works well (especially with lollipops included). The only problem is that I can't really fit many items in my stroller. This has to be for a small shop. I could try to push a grocery cart and the stroller but that just feels too difficult.

Anything I'm missing? Anyone? Are there any other options? Buy my own double grocery cart? Or do as I have planned, grocery shop when I have someone to watch one or both of the boys or after JB gets home from work?

P.S. Are you a blog follower? Make sure you add yourself to my list on the right side of the screen.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Wendi,

My boys aren't nearly as close in age as yours are (they're 1 and 3) but I have also decided recently that without a double cart I won't take them to the store either.

I put the younger one in the cart and let the older one walk but it always turns into disaster...like the last time when someone an end display came crashing down.

I only shop now when they are safe at home with someone else and if I need to grab just a few things I take my double stroller in and belt them both in so they can't get out!

Although it's tricky figuring out a time to get to the store without them, I now use it as a time to myself. I usually get a coffee on the way and sip away on that while I grab my groceries in peace. I've never loved grocery shopping so much!

Good luck,
Rachel

Joy Z said...

You are correct. Unless you have some of "those" children who cling to their mothers skirt all the days of their lives.....I don't and neither do you. =)

Avoid taking both of them at all cost I say, unless you have the double cart option. That's what I do. Actually, since I have a 13 and an 11 year old, I pretty much avoid taking more than one ever!


One other thing I resorted to when i still didn't have that option was to give the older one an iPod (safely clipped on) w/ a movie on it. Probably wouldn't work for you since your two are close to the same age. Unless you perhaps have TWO video-playing iPods.....

I pray for you Wendi, I know it is tough!

June said...

Ergo (backpack) carrier? At least then one is "tied down" that way and can't go anywhere.

Don't have any advice about the screaming. We're dealing with the same thing here with our older daughter, and we manage it by a) time out or leave the store altogether, or b) bribe/pacify with candy. It doesn't feel like a good solution, and oh, to see all the judgmental eyes!

Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on longterm versus short-term solution. A gal I knew who had twin boys would leave the grocery store with a cart full if her boys misbehaved. I never did that, but I did become adept and maneuvering very quickly if stuff escalated, that way the sound dissipated quickly. Are you going grocery shopping when they are tired/hungry? That can make a big difference. My mom flat out never took us shopping, but also didn't get to shop by herself (there were five of us and no ready babysitter), so she definitely lost out. I guess you pick your battles. I am not sure I would use candy unless it was after the boys had behaved well for a trip, and was a surprise, not a "we'll get a treat if you're good" thing...Oh, Happy Thanksgiving!

Jennifer said...

My kids just turned 2 and 3 and are 11 months apart. What I do is I put one in the front and the other in the back HOWEVER I bring either a blanket or a grab a case of water (if that's available where you live)and I make them a "special seat" (my three year old) and I tell them to sit or we will have to go to the hospital. Bring sucks also. My daughter also plays games or listens to youtube videos on my iphone.

Emily said...

I used to be able to fit my twins both in the front part of the cart, but now that they're a little over 2, they don't fit anymore. And like your family, chaos ensues anytime I try to put one in the front of the cart and one in the cart itself. Lately, what I've done is had them both walking, hanging onto my cart. It's definitely an imperfect solution, because I am constantly having to remind them to keep their hands on the cart and discipline them (as unobtrusively and quickly as I can) when they disobey. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to make it work, since I can only shop with my kids, and most of the stores I frequent don't have double carts.

I will also note that for nearly the first year of the twins' lives, I shopped with them in the double front/back stroller, and pulled a shopping cart behind me (I pushed the stroller with my right hand and pulled the cart handle behind me with my left - or maybe I pulled the cart from its end, I can't remember). It worked quite well, and I may have to resort to that again if the girls don't learn to keep their hands on the cart while walking.

Sorry this is so long. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Joy Z said...

I thought of one more thing that I occasionally do. Two carts. Both of them sitting in the front. Just you are pushing one and pulling the other. It isn't awesome for large trips, but it works well for a short one.