Thursday, October 28, 2010

şato

Ms. Barbara and I share a grassy field in between our homes. She is gracious enough to allow me to run Scrubs to his heart's content. She enjoys watching him just out her window and calls him a "lucky dog" to have someone who plays with him so often. (I've told her I have no choice.) Ms. Barbara lost her husband last year after a long battle with Parkinson's. They had been married 51 years. She's in her late 70's but moves like she is much, much younger. She teaches second grade at the Base school and wears festive vests and earrings and belts and jewelry to celebrate whatever season is currently upon us.

She also asked us to dinner on Tuesday evening. She suggested something in the Alley, and I suggested we upgrade to a beautiful place in Adana overlooking the lake (which is quite a bit more expensive). I invited other friends. She invited other friends. And yet she insisted on picking up the tab. She's spry and feisty, and I look forward to having her as my neighbor until she retires at the end of this school year. She misses her husband very much and is determined to stay busy and fight the loneliness until she can retire and be with her kids and grand kids non-stop.

... here are some pictures from our evening at şato -- a luxurious Turkish restaurant.

Despite leaving Base before 6pm, it was still nearly dark by the time we reached the restaurant. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to Adana from Base.

Gorgeous isn't it? While this is a very fancy restaurant for Turkish culture, in America, the prices would probably be about $15 a person.

My best friend and me (and his sippy cup.)

Here's Ms. Barbara (on the right). This is one of her good friends, Ms. Rose.

The reason I chose şato is because they have a playground for the kiddos right there at the restaurant. Isaac, Elijah, and their buddy William were in heaven. Isaac especially liked the beanbag chairs. He asked Joni: "Please sit with me in the bean bags." She said she would if he actually agreed to look at the camera for a picture. This picture was the result.

My Mom with Stebbins and a goofy Shane, whose wife Linda is still in the States.

Love this picture of Joan and my Mom.

The three boys in their bean bag chairs. I had no idea these were so popular.

One of the meals. Definitely different than the traditional Turkish cuisine you get at most other restaurants. Turkish food is delicious but so far in our journey, does not provide one with incredible variety.

Another yummy dish.

Our group (minus Ryan -- Stebbin's husband) and JB.

No comments: