Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Rivers Again!

Just finished two more of Francine Rivers books. The Last Sin Eater was captivating especially after I got about a third of the way into it. Not nearly as god as Redeeming Love or The Scarlet Thread (Two of the best books I have ever read!) but good in its own right. Quite allegorical, I realized that JB and I had watched the movie years ago, but since I couldn't remember it vividly, it didn't ruin the book for me. Definitely allegorical in nature, it wouldn't be the first Rivers I would pick up, but if you are, once again, looking for a book on forgiveness and the only true way to get it, this will not disappoint.

I also just finished her first book in the Lineage of Grace series which "shares the stories of the five unlikely women who changed eternity. Tamar, betrayed by the men who controlled her future, she fought for her right to believe in a loving God. Rahab, a woman with a past to whom God gave a future. Ruth, who gave up everything, expecting nothing, and God honored her. Bathsheba, her beauty stirred the passion of a king, her pain moved the heart of God. Mary, all eternity had been waiting for this moment and she responded in simple obedience to God’s call. Each was faced with extraordinary —even scandalous— challenges, each took great personal risk to fulfill her calling, and each was destined to play a key role in the lineage of Jesus Christ."

It doesn't seem as if the story of Tamar would be exciting, especially when I already knew most of the story. But Rivers manages to paint it incredibly clearly and in a whole new way. I definitely plan to read the rest of the series.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love is my favoritebook! I'll have to pick up The Scarlet Thread. The Atonement Child is another powerful Rivers book. It deals with the very difficult topic of abortion but I found the story to be challenging but good.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Actually I did read THE ATONEMENT CHILD but may have forgotten to do a review. It is a difficult topic. I liked it but was not in love with it.

Katie said...

did you know she has 2 new books out? Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dream...if you already reviewed these and I missed it, sorry!