Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thanks for the Advice

Thank you all IMMENSELY for taking the time to make some suggestions for me in regards to my boys and childcare and events around Base. I have read every single comment. Here are some things I am thinking after reading them:

  1. Both my boys have colds today. I think some of the issues may have related to this. Thank you to the commenter who suggested they may be ill. They both have a little something going on.
  2. This too shall pass. This is a stage. It will pass quicker than I want it to.
  3. I need to not leave without talking to them first. Leaving without them seeing me might have worked when they were a baby but they are old enough to understand that I have snuck out on them. I have been doing this and I think it bothers Elijah especially. Last night, we had a babysitter so we could go on a date. Elijah got upset, but then I stopped and explained it to him, and he was okay. He did well with some explanation and a distraction (playing outside.)
  4. I should consider allowing Elijah his pacifier or "buddy" (aka "luvvy") while in the nursery.
  5. Staying in the room to help is probably not a good option for me right now, but it is a "last resort" attempt I could make.
  6. JB and I need to figure out whether they should be in the same class or not be in the same class. What works better for both of them? They will probably be in the same classes for years to come so we were leaning that way. But we have to discuss this together.
  7. Consider bribing. (I think this will work for Isaac. I am not sure Elijah can understand the "future" enough yet.)
  8. Take it slow. Choose my events with care.
  9. It is okay to put me first. And it okay to put them first.
  10. Consider a babysitter.

So many wonderful ideas. JB and I went on a date last night! Glorious for both of us. We talked about this a lot while eating our Turkish dinner and practicing our Turkish with our host.

For now we are planning to:

  1. Attend Sunday evening service together and put the kids in nursery. It is just one hour. Isaac seems to enjoy this every week. Elijah is touch and go.
  2. Continue attending Wednesday evening service. Amanda is their teacher every week, and they seem to know her now. This is also held in the CDC (Child Development Center) which offers a very cool room that they both seem to greatly enjoy.
  3. Take MOPs as it comes. I may consider getting a babysitter to attend this since it is only every other week. MOPs has a lot of kids and is in a room not designed for children. It may just not fit for them right now. MOPs is worth me getting a babysitter.
  4. Wait at least a semester before starting Tuesday Bible Study. This is hard for me as they are doing a Beth Moore study, and I would love to do it. But I think this is just too much for the boys right now.
  5. When we have our little Monday & Friday babysitting co-op, leave the boys for a very short period to get a break, but don't do it all the time and make sure they are comfortable in their environment.

Thanks everybody! I'll keep you posted on how it is going. And if you want to add more comments, suggestions, or emails, please continue to do so. I've ready every single one, even if I didn't respond to each one individually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good idea to put them in the same class for now - but a little note to file away.... We did the same thing to our kids and this past summer we realized it was holding Ethan back and Jillian was becoming dependent upon him. Ethan was feeling the "burden" and teachers were automaticlly holding him back from his peers to comfort her. You might just want to make sure you re-evaluate every year or so if keeping them together is a good idea or if it's time for who ever is struggling to do it on their own. ;)
Sending prayers - you all seem to be adjusting very well!!! I am amazed!

Roberta