Saturday, September 11, 2010

A bit of a twist

In 2001 I lived in the United States when our country lost thousands of peoples in the terrorist attacks on 9-11. I don't have to ask you if you remember where you were. If you are a young adult (or older), there is no doubt you remember where you were that day.

I was teaching a room full of innocent children in Franklin, Kentucky.

Today I am living in the Middle East -- an area often associated with these brutal acts.

I have always felt strongly about the fact that we should not blame everyone for the sin of one. And I feel that way even greater on a day like today. JB and some of his coworkers received some sweets from one of the Turkish coworkers -- a tradition this time of year for Ramazan. The note he included passed along his sympathy for the 9/11 anniversary.

His coworker is Muslim. But the vast majority of Muslims believe what occurred nearly ten years ago was a travesty of the worst kind. They would never adhere to such violent acts.

As a Christian, I cringe when I see someone doing something in the name of my religion that I don't agree with. "Christians" who kill abortion doctors. "Christians" who form white supremacy groups. "Christians" who kill in the name of Jesus. "Christians" who live as hypocrites. "Christians" who believe they are above another people group. I don't want to be associated with those people. They do not accurately represent that God I serve.

Most Muslims feel the same way.

As a Christian I am called to love everyone. It is my job to spread the gospel. It is my job to share my faith. It is my job to pray for those who persecute me. But it is not my job to hate or to blame or to initiate violence.

I hope we all remember, today especially, who the enemy is. Today we must remember that sin is the enemy. One particular people group is not the enemy. Satan. Sin. Evil. That is the enemy. It comes in various forms and cloaked in many variations. Muslims died in those buildings on 9/11. Christians died in those buildings on 9/11. The enemy is Satan.

The thief comes but for to steal, kill, and destroy. But Christ comes to give life.

Please remember to pray for those people who are living without someone they love because of the evil that is present in the world we live.

2 comments:

denise said...

thanks for posting a peaceful and not violent reaction to 9/11! I shared it on my Facebook page, I hope you don't mind.

Ann said...

Thanks for the beautiful comments, Wendi!