Friday, August 20, 2010

Waiting for our UB

I'm at the house waiting. It's 10:30. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse time. I'm waiting for the UB movers to get here. I'm waiting for the movers to come and take our loaners crib back to wherever they store them. I'm also waiting for someone to fix our master bathroom tub -- something that's been a saga since we moved in.

Anyways, it's been a rough morning. Lots of crying and whining and fighting. Just one of those days. We tried playing outside but they started fighting over one of their cars and no amount of taking turns would release the hostility. So we came inside. Both boys were furious over this. Elijah was easily distracted with some book reading, but Isaac held firm that my idea that we come in was a terrible one. He is allowed to whine but he has to do it in the bathroom :) So he sat on the time-out chair in the downstairs bathroom for nearly 20 minutes. He can come out whenever he is done whining. And sure enough, about 20 minutes, he just plain stopped, walked out, and asked me to read a book.

The same drama ensued an hour later over the recliner in the TV room. Both boys wanted to sit in it but today, neither wanted to have the company of their brother. I was so emotionally exhausted. I just told them both that because they couldn't share it, neither one of them could have it. This went over, horribly. Elijah quickly got engrossed in Mickey but Isaac did not give up so easily.

But those are the "hard" things. Whining. Fighting. Disobeying. There are lot of "easy" things. Fun things. Exciting things.

Every day is a day that the boys are learning. Something new. Something interesting. Last week Elijah discovered that his finger fits perfectly in his nose. He walked around for nearly an hour enjoying the experience. Today Isaac figured out that he can blow out of his mouth while holding his nose with his fingers. He snorted and laughed and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Isaac is saying so many funny phrases. When Elijah takes something from him he will whine and say, "But I was having that!" It cracks me up every time he says it. He is singing his ABC's nearly perfectly. He also decided earlier this week that he wanted to sit on his little potty. I am in no way trying to potty train him amidst the hectic life we are leading currently. But prior to sitting down this time, he hadn't wanted anything to do with that potty. Of course, nothing happened but him sitting there, staring down, and then saying, "I'm all done Mommy." But it was something. And no surprise that Elijah wanted to sit on it after him. He has to do everything his big brother does.

Elijah is talking more and more and more. Still one word grunting phrases, but he tries any sound he hears.

They love playing with trucks. Playing outside. Reading books. Watching movies. Crayons still seem to enjoy being eaten by Elijah. Any bug he can get his chubby hands on, he will. They like crawling in their tent -- although this morning Isaac melted away again when I told him it was physically impossible for his tent to go up on the couch. He didn't agree. I remember Joan once, telling me when Bri was Isaac's age that it is impossible to reason with a two-year-old. Amen to that.

Oh and one more thing, totally off topic. JB started his first "on-call" week on Wednesday. He carries his cell phone around with him everywhere. If people need a doctor after 4:30pm, they call a number, talk to the EMS people who then handle the issue or transfer it to JB. It is a bit "interesting" to hear him on the phone being a doctor since I normally don't ever get to see what it is he does. I'm sure I'll have some days where I am cursing this on-call thing. But it seems to be pretty cool in that he takes it from home, or within one hour from the Base. No need to go into the hospital. No need to sit around for hours or sleep overnight at the hospital. They only have a clinic here. Another one of the reasons we chose Turkey.

All right, The Clubhouse is about to disappear. I better get upstairs to check on my little men.

2 comments:

Joy Z said...

Oh how I understand the trials of helping little ones! Some days I feel like I'm holding my breath until bedtime, just trying to get through.

I read this this morning and I feel encouraged for the day... so far. I know it's only 8:00am

"Yes, my greatest accommplishment today was nurturing the two children that God has entrusted to my care." ~ Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman

You're doing good Mama and the Lord is pleased!!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

One 'cure' to the crayon eating is to get AquaDoodle pens and mats. The boys can still draw and color, but if they suck or chew on the pen they're just drinking water. My boys still love their AquaDoodle stuff. I don't know what will be available to you there, but AD has travel mats, a large wall mat (who doesn't like coloring on the wall), smaller mats with hidden scenes on them that when they get colored on the image appears. You can also get extra pens.

Bethany