Friday, August 20, 2010

Not quite what is promised

The UB guys got here at 6pm. We had finally given up waiting for them. JB had put Elijah in his high chair and turned on a movie so he could cut his hair. (Finally!) I started making some brownies to bring to some new neighbors we had met at church. I had put chicken nuggets in the oven and vegetables on the stove.

And gosh darn it, wouldn't you know, that's when they show up.

Cue doorbell.

They brought everything in within about 30 minutes. All of this stuff was packed in gigantic boxes. They would have us confirm that the box was indeed empty, and then bring it and all the paper used to wrap whatever was in it, back to their truck.

I asked the guy when they were bringing the boxes in if they would be taking whatever belonged upstairs ... up the stairs. "Yes, certainly," he said. And I answered with "teşekkür ederim." (Thank you in Turkish.) I then asked him if they would be putting together everything that was taken apart for the trip overseas. "Yes, certainly," he echoed. Another Turkish thank you from me ensued.

But then, after they unloaded, I received the truth behind "Yes, certainly." I was informed that while they did intend to take things upstairs and to put together the cribs and the bikes, we would have to wait until Monday for any of this to occur as they still had another house to drop stuff off at. My face crinkled at this. As I glanced around the living room that was covered, every square inch of it, with miscellaneous items, I crinkled. Hard.

Monday?

Well that wasn't going to work. JB and I were going to go out tomorrow. Shop for rugs and stuff. We have a babysitter. We surely can't have her babysit with these landmines all over the place. So much stuff for two little men to get into. Crib slats and bicycle parts and taken apart kids' toys. What a mess!

So after dropping off our brownies and putting two little boys to bed amidst great tears (they wanted to play with all their "new" toys and Isaac let us know this by yelling, "I want my Paul Police Car BAD!" over and over and over again,) we began to move everything that belonged upstairs, upstairs. I think we will wait for them to return Monday to put the cribs back together and the bikes as well. But we at least have the pieces in the office upstairs. The boys are in the pack-n-plays again. For a few nights.

Chatted online with my friend Jaime tonight. She reminded me that we are so blessed to have our stuff here. Perspective is vital. Our friends Tristan and Shannon waited until October 29th to receive all of their things when they moved here two years ago. Egads.

So while it hasn't gone just like I had hoped, it's gone well. We have our stuff.

And I'm going to bed.

No comments: