Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What would you do?

Picture this.

I arrive at the park for Della's third birthday party. I get both boys onto the sidewalk. While I am pulling Della's gift and diaper bag out of the car, I notice Elijah heading down a fairly steep hill on the other side of the sidewalk. I try to call him back, but his forward momentum and lack of desire continue to lead him down the hill. There is water at the bottom of the hill. It looks like just a puddle, but I can't be sure. I quickly recognize that I will have to "rescue" him.

I turn to tell Isaac to stay put so I can go and fetch his brother only to see that Isaac's pants have fallen down around his ankles. I thought the waist band was a little stretched out when I put them on this morning but didn't think anything else of it.

Isaac is saying "shorts" and "help please" over and over again. I feel terrible, but I don't think many would disagree that Elijah's problem is completely outranking Isaac's problem. Because of that, I was forced to leave Isaac standing on the sidewalk, pants around his ankles, while I ran down the hill to get brother.

Thank goodness that Joia spotted my plight from across the playground and came to help. Can I use your help? Yes! Desperately.

Anyways, we recovered from that quite humorous beginning and managed to pull up Isaac's pants and join in on the fun at the party.

A birthday party in the middle of the week while all of our husbands are at work is not normal. But heck, moving to Turkey and Japan (Sarah) isn't something that happens everyday either.

We enjoyed great chicken salad and "dirt" for dessert. We also, thanks to Joia, have photos. Without Joia, my life here at Eglin would probably be very poorly documented. She manages to get pictures nearly everywhere. Look at the pictures she managed to capture. Somehow we got nine kids to cooperate.



I have to be honest. When Joia suggested attempting to get all of us in one picture, I wasn't holding out much hope. How she managed one of our entire group and one of nearly all the kids celebrating, I have no earthly idea. I know it helped that I had lollipops for my boys. Isaac wasn't feeling fantastic and is not a fan of pictures in general lately. ("Not-a-fan" is probably an understatement. He usually turns his back to the camera.) These photos are quite ... well, I'd go as far as to say they were a miracle! Ha!

We are all counting the number of events that we are able to be together before we go our separate ways. What a blessing this group of gals (and Brittny who was also there but not in the photo) have been in my life and the life of my two little men. Only Jodi was missing yesterday. Can you believe she went out of town instead of coming to Della's party?! Ha!

2 comments:

Joia said...

While the IDEA and placement for the group photo with the kids was mine, Brittny actually snapped the picture, and Sarah actually took the one of all the kids eating.. =)

Joy Z said...

Oh my goodness! Hysterical!!! I love coming here for my daily laughs!

btw, have you ever seen that "Pants on the Ground" video? Thinking about his pants around his ankles reminded me of that. Look for it on YouTube if you haven't seen it, it is hilarious!