Thursday, February 25, 2010

Prayer tips?

No pics today. I had Bible Study. Joan watched Elijah. Brittny came over with BBQ for dinner since both of our hubbies are in New Orleans. I'm fairly disappointed with Joan's performance today on pictures, but she did finish off our 1000-piece puzzle challenge so I think I'll cut her some slack. She also cooked a roast with mashed potatoes and gravy yesterday. I think that earns even more slack.

I was encouraged by our speaker today at MOPs. Encouraged to pray. Pray without ceasing. Pray all day every day. Make prayer the center of my life.

I got a letter from Kelsey again the other day. She said that living in the convent has allowed her to revolve her life around prayer instead of to revolve prayer around her life. I want to be able to do that while not living in a convent.

Our speaker today shared that we spend three years of our life just "waiting." Waiting for the doctor. Waiting for church to start. Waiting for the movie to begin. What if we prayed during all of those waiting times?

Just wondering if any of you have some ways that you incorporate prayer into your life? Other than devotional time, how do you remember and focus on prayer all day long?

P.S. I wonder if this evening you could all take one moment to pray for an online friend of mine who is hoping to be home more with her children. She is looking for a way to work a bit less? If 300-400 people read this blog and pray, that's a lot of prayers going her way!

6 comments:

Joy Z said...

I don't do this always, but I have made it a practice to pray in the car with my children while we are on our way place. Like on our way to church, or the store or whatever. No only does it help me teach them to pray, but it does a great thing for the constant problem of bickering while in close quarters with each other.
Thanks for this post! I am encouraged to make sure I'm doing that more.

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

When I am thinking about someone throughout the day or a worry comes to mind- I just stop and say a quick prayer about it.

denise said...

I used to think it only counted if you were completely, 100% focused on God with your eyes closed, calling out to him. While I do feel that is very special, especially if you physically lay prostrate before out King - it is not always possible with kids. I try (TRY) to whisper words of prayer and thanksgiving through out the day. I say ones out loud that will not be harming to my kids (like I won't say "Lord help me now or I am going to scream at XYZ kid"). I also try to take all opportunities when emergency vehicle and people on the side of the road to tell my kids that we need to pray for those people and we pray out loud together.

I by no means am perfect and I hope to get better, but those are some ways that I try!

Hey, I linked to your blog on my blog today. I hope it's ok! If not, just let me know and I will take it off. Thanks :)

Emily said...

This is a very encouraging post! Thanks for sharing! I pray in the car on my commute to and from work. I love that time by myself to just have a conversation with God.

Just this morning I was praying for you and your speaking engagement! I pray for the Lord to bring you peace, comfort, and confidence.

Jess said...

Prayer said for your friend!

I tend to be the type to talk to God throughout the day rather than "pray" traditionally. We also pray before meals and bed with the kids, and do devotionals before bed, of course. And during Lent this year I'm praying 5 min a day...I do have to set my phone to remind me! And do it during baby naptime! But it's been nice, really, and I'm wondering if keeping it up would be good!!

Beth said...

I thought I had already posted a comment here, but for some reason it is not showing up. I'll try again.

We always pray when we see or hear emergency vehicles just like a previous poster. We pray for owies and emotional hurts for our kids and our friends as well. One thing I am going to try is an idea I got from another blogger I have followed--it's called a 7x7 prayer which prompts you to pray for your kids 7 times a day. We are just starting it.

This is a great way to get ideas, can't wait to see what others post to incorporate more prayer into my day as well.