Saturday, February 13, 2010

Blog question

When on earth do you have time to blog?

That's the question.

And I haven't just received it once. I've received it many times. In person. On the phone. Via email. In comments.

I've heard it so many times that I thought I should write a blog to talk about ... well, blogging.

So, here are the facts of my blogging "career":

Firstly, let me be bluntly honest. I am a fast typer. True honesty? I am a VERY fast typer. The last time I got tested I think it was 130 words per minute. When they tested me at Mayo before I took my job there, the woman looked at me quite strangely when the test printed out. A kind of look that questioned whether I had cheated or not. But it's true. So that's one thing that helps me out.

I type so much that, and this is not an exageration, I have worn the letters off my keyboard. Not all of them but a lot of them. I don't even realize this until someone comes over and tries to use my keyboard and tells me that they can't figure out where the keys are. Kristi told me this. So I got out some whiteout and rectified the situation. Now my keyboard looks a mess but at least you can see where the keys are now!

Secondly, writing is also something I have done most of my life. Really. Since I was like, eight. I started on an old manual typewriter my parents had. Then I started typing on an electronic typewriter and an old computer in my Dad's office. I wrote long stories from a very early age. I love to write. It therefore is not something that is painful for me. It comes fairly naturally.

Thirdy, I often do a few blogs at once. Like tonight for instance. The boys went to bed at 7pm. JB is working on a presentation he is giving in New Orleans in a few weeks on snake bites. And I am blogging away. I will often do quite a few blogs at once and then save them as drafts or set them to post automatically at another time. I can set a blog to post anytime in the future on blogger. It's a nice feature that wasn't there when I started blogging in 2005. I am typing this blog on a Thursday evening. But I probably won't post it for a few days.

Fourthly, I cannot get on the computer that often. Elijah will stand by me and sob nearly anytime I sit down at my computer desk. And I mean sob. Isaac will say "hand" and then lead me around the house to show me anything. They don't like when I am behind that computer. And for good reason. It takes me away from them. And I think it's a God thing that the boys keep my accountable to not let this computer suck me in. Not that I let them decide what I do or don't do you understand, but when someone is crying in your ear, it doesn't lend to you wanting to sit down and type for an hour. I therefore usually get on the computer in 5-15 minute bursts throughout the day. Quick moments while they are eating lunch or when one is asleep and the other is playing solo or if I wake up from my nap before their naps are done. (I do NOT get on the computer at the start of my nap or I am likely to never take one.) When I think of something during the day, I may write a few sentences and save it as a draft, and then come back to it later.

And fifthly, blogging is my hobby. I don't have many. Really. Unlike my husband who has 21,073 hobbies at last count ... :) I have about, well, like, maybe four. I like to read. I like to blog. I like to exercise. And I like to spend time with my family. Seriously. That's really it. I'm not very complex. A lack of other hobbies frees me up in this arena a bit.

Okay, so hopefully that helps you all get a bit of insight into my blogging life.

And, no surprise here, I am setting this to post a few days from now. That way you think I am better at this blogging thing than I really am!

5 comments:

crazystegmamaof4 said...

I can vouch for you being a VERY fast typer! I still remember my eyes bugging out my head in Mr. Squark's (sp?) typing class when I saw your fingers move at lightning speed. It's almost like you have a super-hero power, but it's in your fingers :) People think I type fast (which is why I can blog as often as I do too!)...but your quick keyboard fingers put me to shame! :) Plus writing has always been a passion and a gift of yours. I think it would be a shame for you not to share it with the world daily :) Just my humble opinion :)

Anonymous said...

First, I've never seen anyone type as fast as you-not even my mom, who worked for the FBI as a stenographer and was FAST!!And I'd never seen a keyboard with the letters worn off before :)
Second, I love being connected-your daily posts make it seem like you're right next door!
Third,I wonder what hobbies the boys will develop!
love you
mom k

Anonymous said...

I love this..
it's funny -people ask me often that about fb -but i never got the impression they really want an answer -maybe cuz it's often said along with the line --some of us work you know! so i never thought to answer ! --til i read this! I ws just assuming people who ask that are people who can't imagine everyone else wouldn't be or shouldn't be just like them ;0 or can't imagine anyone can work full on and fb too or can't imagine there are people who enjoy that type of mindless thing...(actually i need my fb neighbors now that i'm not in the village w/ real one to walk in and out all day, working from home), and there you are with your wonderful heart - assuming the best and thinking people really want an answer! I loved it! -that is so great and i loved the part about hobbies cuz it reminds me why uncle Ed enjoys JB and made me feel way less uncomplex than I feel sometimes cuz i could relate to you -- never thought about it that way! -typed this fast by the way! :0
tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Okay, snakebites...my husband found a copperhead in the woods in our backyard a couple days ago when it was COLD, and also before it had snowed several inches. We are in the South, but how crazy is it to find a copperhead in February!?!

Would love to know what to do if bitten by a poisonous snake and you are nowhere near medical help.

I too am impressed with 130 words per minute-it's just that the snake bit in the blog jumped out at me.
Laura HP

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Laura, JB said that is unusual.

Copperheads rarely kill people though.

Maybe I can talk JB into turning his presentation into a blog post. He's passionate about it so I think he would!