Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Marley & Scrubs

You know that scene in Marley & Me where Jennifer Anniston has just gotten all her kids to sleep and she falls onto her bed, arm draped over her dog, in pure exhaustion, only to have the garbage truck roll by sending Marley into a barking fit and causing both babies to wake up crying?

Today, that happened to me.

I decided to try something new today. I draped a sheet over the comforter of the guest bed and let Scrubs take a nap on there with me. I'd do it on our bed, but I don't want him to get into the habit of thinking he can sleep with me. And, our bed is really high. I'm not Scrubs could jump up there without a real running leap.

You could tell Scrubs was in heaven when I said, "Up!" and he realized I was going to let him join me. Me? Get on the furniture? With you? He immediately jumped up and draped his chin over my leg ... pure doggy heaven.

In fact, we were all in heaven. Elijah fell asleep on my chest. I'm big on not having my kids sleep with me, but I have taken Joia's advice. She once told me that when Keenan was a baby she used to try to take at least one daily nap with him. I thought this was a great idea, and I tried to do it with Isaac and now Elijah as often as I can while they are still a little baby. Some days he doesn't want to go to sleep, other days we are interrupted by Isaac waking up or me having to go to the bathroom. But today, it worked perfectly! Elijah was asleep on my chest, Isaac was asleep in his crib, I was asleep on the bed, Scrubby was asleep on my leg . . .

And then . . .

The Fed Ex man came by. He didn't need a signature or anything. He just rang the bell to let me know he was there!

For those of you who don't know Scrubs personally, you may not know that he is not a big barking dog. I've heard this is a little true of the breed, and it is definitely true of him. He'll give a little bark now and then, but never usually more than one unless he is really unnerved. But this ring woke him out of a dead sleep, and he was in a new place, on a new bed, in the back of the house where he couldn't see what was going on and couldn't protect us from the big bad Fed Ex guys. He jumped off the bed, went running down the hallway barking, causing both Elijah on my chest to start crying and Isaac in his crib to wake up crying!

And I think I started crying too. :( I felt bad after that because I got so mad at Scrubs. I really yelled at him, and I could tell that he had no idea why. He just sat there looking at me as if to say: I thought I was supposed to protect you! That's my job!

Poor Scrubby. Poor me. Poor boys. Nap time over.

I've decided to put a note on the door asking people to knock instead of ring the bell. I hope that doesn't appear rude. I'm also going to ask that the package guys just drop their package off if they don't need a signature. We'll find it eventually.

My little Marley . . .

7 comments:

The Mac's House said...

The note on the door sounds like a great idea.

Where I grew up in the country you can still see a pad of paper with a pencil attached for people to leave you notes at the door if you're not home, so I think it is perfectly acceptable to put a note asking for no disturbance.

Sorry to hear about the nap interrupted. I bet it took a bit to calm everyone down. That's a hard way to wake up for sure.

I'm not sure if the no barking is true of the breed(?), wish that was the case at my house. You need to come to my house where just a simple knock on the door ensues panic out of four dogs barking at the top of their lungs.

I dare say you have a keeper there with Mr. Scrubs. He is very well behaved and gentle with the kiddos, hats off to you guys for raising such a wonderful doggie on top of the two babies.

I know the feeling of just getting one to sleep and then one of the dogs barking sets off the rest of them.

However, I'm not so fortunate that mine are not big barkers, they will set off at anything and there is one that constantly WHINES, what is up with that??????

Mrs. H said...

I had a friend give me a sign that hung on the front door that said, "Don't ring door bell, baby sleeping!" It worked perfectly!

Amy T. S. said...

Well? Did the Fed Ex driver leave you something good at least?

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

No Amy -- ust some dumb stuff for Jb ...

Anonymous said...

Good grief-one of those "you can laugh about it now but was horrible at the moment" stories!
mom k

Anonymous said...

You NEED this!! http://customizedvinylcreations.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-item-baby-sleeping-sign.html

Cassi makes beautiful signs

Tara said...

That happens a lot here...sometimes I can see the truck coming and chase the dogs out onto the back deck, but otherwise they go berserk. It's not rude at all to put a sign on the door!!! I don't know why I haven't done it...

And I'm jealous about Elijah sleeping on your chest. Kaia hates to be on her stomach so we don't ever sleep that way. :( I used to love that with Charlie. Definitely enjoy it while you can. It won't be long before he wants to play!