Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Update (by JB)

Wendi will be staying in the hospital for a few more days.

After the c-section, Wendi had a lot of pain. Her belly was very tender. It was more tender than normal. She also bled more than normal after a c-section. Her blood counts dropped a little, but haven't been too bad. However, her white count (an indication of infection) was a little more elevated than expected after a surgery. She also started to run a fever. Then her belly started to get bigger. Then she lost her appetite. Then her belly got really big - like she was 35 weeks pregnant again.

Bottom line: She has a probable endometritis with a post-operative ileus.

Endometritis is an infection of the lining of the uterus. She had some risk factors for this, including the fact that Elijah had a bowel movement before delivery and that Wendi had a c-section. This is treated with antibiotics which Wendi has already started. She is not running a fever anymore.

An ileus is basically when the normal transit of the gastrointestinal tract goes to sleep. Lots of air builds up in the intestines and it can become very uncomfortable. This is treated with bowel rest (meaning no food or drink) and with some medicines to get things moving as well. Wendi has also stopped taking some of her pain meds which can cause a worsening ileus. She is actually feeling a little better than she did 12 hours ago, so that is a good sign. This typically resolves on its own within a few days.

Keep all of us, especially Wendi and Elijah, in your prayers. I'll update when I can.

12 comments:

Mo said...

delurking to say i am sorry to hear this and hope that wendi is on the mend asap. congratulations on little elijah!

mo

Tammy said...

Wendi, I'm sorry your having complications! Praying for you!!!

Tammy S from HP

Anonymous said...

praying for wendi, no doubt! and for JB and the littles. . . and all who are caring for your family right now.

praise the Lord for elijah! it's so wonderful to see that pic of JB with his arms full of kids!

love,
cbrueggie from HP

Jen said...

Wendi, hang in there! This will pass and you will soon be home with your sweet babies! I'll be praying for you and your family.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Awh man....I am so sorry to hear this but God is Still Good even when we feel HORRIBLE. Gotta cling to that! Feel better Wendi...we are praying. Thanks for the update John! :)

crazystegmamaof4 said...

You have got to be joking...as if delivery wasn't hard enough on you guys.

Dear Sweet, Wen...as I've always said...you are the strongest woman I know. I know bumps in your road keep arising...too many to count...but we all know God is in control and that he won't give you more than you can't handle. (though the devil is sure trying to take the joy out of this whole birthing a baby thing, huh?!) Praying for you guys as always...and I'm thinking a nice, normal, even mundane life should be in the cards from now on...this drama is getting ridiculous :) Hang in there, friend! :) Love, Kel
P.S. In case you need a laugh I had a dream the other night that you had 8 more kids and they did a tv show after you called John and Wen plus 10 :) :) So maybe you are destined for drama?! :)

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

Rejoig with you in the wonderful news of baby Elijah! Wendy, praying for you as you recover - not a fun road! {{{hugs}}}

Jenni
http://www.HannahsHopeBook.com

Amy T. S. said...

I love you, Wendi! Praying for you and your sweet little family.

Bri said...

Wendi,

I'm thinking about you nonstop and wanted to let you know that i am so proud of you.

-Bri

Anonymous said...

Wendi, I am in awe of you and your whole family. You give to all of us such transparent testimonies of God's sovereignty. I am certain that during times like this it would be very easy for Satan to try to destroy your joy...discouragement is one of his most deadly weapons. But I know your eyes are fixed on the One Who loves you and holds ALL things in His hands of love.
I was thinking this might be a good rewording of your verse from Hab. (which, by the way, has always been one of my favorites, too!):
Though my belly is tender and my gastrointestinal tract has gone to sleep, though I long to be at home in my own bed securely surrounded by JB, Isaac, Elijah, and Scrubs, although I have to stay in the hospital a little longer than I had hoped to, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
With much love from one of your faithful blog readers.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you to heal Wendi! I can't believe you and John's story. I will pray for you to be home feeling good with your 3 men very soon! I love you! Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi,

You and little Elijah are in our prayers as well as JB and Isaac. We are hoping you feel better soon.

Lots of love,
Andrea