Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back from OB

My OB appt. went great this morning. Not only was Isaac well-behaved, but everything looked great. I am measuring right at 26 weeks. She said my weight gain is perfectly fine, it just feels like a lot because it is all in my stomach and not in the rest of my body. She said my due-date is still the end of January -- that date was a typo on the tech's part. So that settles all that. Baby boy Elijah's heart rate was 150, and all appears well with the world. She said the 26-32 week period is when you are most concerned with pre-term-labor so she gave me things to watch for and be aware of. It's amazing that I am 26 weeks along, but even more amazing that I still have 14 to go! How big can my belly get?! :)

I was a little disappointed that JB couldn't be at the appointment with me. I know that JB loves his job and is doing what he should be doing with his life. He is a great doctor, and he belongs in this profession for sure. It's just that sometimes I start feeling a little sorry for myself. I sometimes wish he had a job that allowed him to "get away" for things. I shouldn't complain as sometimes his job does allow that. But sometimes it doesn't, and I can't help but think that life is too short to miss out on things like this! (Even though, truly, I think this is the first appointment he has missed. I'm just having a bit of a pity party.)

Yesterday he told me he thought he might have to take a 4-week course next year in Ohio. This, in addition, to 4 other 1-week courses he is already signed up for. I want him to go, know he will enjoy it, and support his decision, it's just that selfish part of me wants him here with me instead of somewhere else.

I, of course, would like to go to all of these meetings with him. However, some of them do not allow guests. For instance one of them is a race that he would be helping injured people in like the middle of the dessert. Don't think I can go to that. In addition, I am going to have two children under 1.5 years old. Sitting in a hotel for five days while he is at a Conference would be a bit on the difficult side. It would be one thing if the kids were old enough to enjoy the park or activities like museums or malls or zoos and such. But they will both be babies.

Anyways, I got off on a tangent and am coming off very negative. Let me end on a positive note by saying that one of these conferences in a year from now in Cozumel, Mexico. We are thinking we will make that trip kid less (grandparents rock!!!) and enjoy a great vacation. So it isn't all bad now is it?

When I start complaining again about how often he is away from the house, remind me of Cozumel. It makes me feel better quickly. Wendi by a pool . . . in the sun . . . for a week. Sigh . . .

7 comments:

Aimee said...

Glad everything went well!

Drew and Emily said...

I live in Ohio, so you guys can come hang out with us while JB goes to his conference. We have a year to become internet friends first.

yuan family said...

Glad to hear that all is going well with Elijah. I can't believe you are already 26 weeks!

Jules said...

I can't believe you're 26 weeks already - that's fantastic!

Sorry to hear about the trips that will be coming up. It will all be worth it in the end though :)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Wow....Jan.!!!!

I am right there with you when my hubby is away. He is home A LOT more than he used to be and way more than John I am sure! It is healthy for us to miss them. I too just go past the missing to being selfish...but God can move us past that! :)

Glad your appt. was good!

AW said...

It's funny that before we have kids, we'd complain about not having kids around, whether our husband were there or not. AFTER we have kids, we complain that our husbands are never around. I do the same thing and loved this reminder to be positive.

Also, when I get a few precious moments to FINALLY have some time to myself, I miss my guys like CRAZY and can't wait to get back to them!!! LOL!

Joanna said...

I'm glad everything looks good!

On the off chance that it makes you feel any better, my husband couldn't come to ANY of my OB appts. Not even the ultrasound!